An expedition to Salt Lake City
Jun. 28th, 2026 10:06 pm So as part of the kickstarter for Larry Correia's American Paladin, Ark Press threw three shindigs across the country to celebrate. Once they announced that Travis Corcoran would be there, I squeezed every last penny out of the NSSAB reimbursement check and went off to SLC last Thursday. I loaded up with ice and iced tea, hit Love's north of town for a couple of gallons with the intent of topping off in Ely where regular was fifty cents cheaper. I did this, grabbed burgers at the McD's b/c the Carl's Jr app wasn't working for the Ely store, bought some razors and Diet Coke at the Family Dollar, and rolled on to the Park Inn in SLC. They didn't have a fridge, but aside from that and a bunch of gnats the room was nice enough. Couldn't do any blogging because I stupidly forgot the new password at The Other McCain, but I did finish the second Azur Lane fanfic that had been struggling to get out of my head.
Friday I went out for breakfast at Dee's Family Restaurant in SE SLC, which was very nice, had quite reasonable prices, and excellent service. Then I burned off some flyers for the convention, lazed around in my room for a bit, and then drove over to the Grand American Hotel.
It was well worth it. Open bar, all manner of tasty tasty snacks, hanging out with Larry and Travis, meeting Larry's lovely wife, passing out many of the flyers, a good talk followed by a Q&A with Larry and Travis. A good time was had by all, even if I lost my Buc-ee's hat. Saturday morning I got up, cleared the hotel and got my insulin out of their fridge, and motored up to the last Maverik on I-80 before Wendover, where I got gas, ice, fluids, and Bad Things for breakfast because I got there long after breakfast hours. Stopped in Wendover for lunch and a bathroom break, which I wound up taking at Arby's because I think somebody was passed out in the crapper at McD's. Down 93A to Ely, topped off at the Love's, got burger at McD's, and headed on home.
I'm absolutely broke now but it was very much worth it.
Friday I went out for breakfast at Dee's Family Restaurant in SE SLC, which was very nice, had quite reasonable prices, and excellent service. Then I burned off some flyers for the convention, lazed around in my room for a bit, and then drove over to the Grand American Hotel.
It was well worth it. Open bar, all manner of tasty tasty snacks, hanging out with Larry and Travis, meeting Larry's lovely wife, passing out many of the flyers, a good talk followed by a Q&A with Larry and Travis. A good time was had by all, even if I lost my Buc-ee's hat. Saturday morning I got up, cleared the hotel and got my insulin out of their fridge, and motored up to the last Maverik on I-80 before Wendover, where I got gas, ice, fluids, and Bad Things for breakfast because I got there long after breakfast hours. Stopped in Wendover for lunch and a bathroom break, which I wound up taking at Arby's because I think somebody was passed out in the crapper at McD's. Down 93A to Ely, topped off at the Love's, got burger at McD's, and headed on home.
I'm absolutely broke now but it was very much worth it.